Well, 2013 is on its way out the door. I’m another year older and hopefully a little wiser. Overall, it has been a good year. No major mishaps or catastrophes! I actually had some really great things happen this year.
- I started a new job that I absolutely love! I left a law firm which had a high stress environment and I now work at a local technical college. It is such a laid back atmosphere compared to my previous job. I love my new boss which is a major plus, I have made some new friends, AND I was off two weeks for Christmas! This job change is one of the best decisions I’ve ever made.
- I started blogging this year! I started a personal blog first, but I found myself struggling to come up with blog material. I found myself wanting to talk about books on my personal blog, so I decided to go ahead and start a dedicated book blog. Another great decision! I’ve chatted with a lot of great people. I’ve also learned so much about blogging and the blogging community.
- I celebrated my 14th wedding anniversary with my husband. Marrying that crazy man is another one of the greatest decisions I’ve ever made. We just keep getting better and better.
- My mom battled and won her second war with breast cancer. I’m happy it was found early and she is still here with us!!
- I went on vacation to Jamaica back in May. This was our second trip to the island. How can you not love the Caribbean?
- I also took my first pottery lesson which was really cool!
- I received my first ARC, and let’s admit it…ARCs are one of the main perks of being a book blogger!!
- I had my first author tweet a link to my book blog!!
So, that addresses some of the high points of 2013
Books Read: 50
Pages Read: 14,720
Of course I would have loved to read more, but 50 is a very respectable number for me. I don’t think I’ve read that many in one year since I was in college. I’m going to shoot for 52 next year. That would be one book a week.
Favorite Reads for 2013
The Mageborn Series by Michael G. Manning was wonderful! I am eagerly awaiting the 5th and final book which should be coming up in a couple of months!
I read the first of Laini Taylor’s Daughter of Smoke and Bone series. It was a really fun read and have the second one ready to go as soon as I get a chance!
James Rollins had two really good ones this year! His first outing of The Order of the Sanguines Series with Rebecca Cantrell was wonderful and his solo Sigma Series books are always a blast!!
Elizabeth Hunter returned this year with some great new additions to her Elemental World series as well as a new series, The Irin Chronicles.
Michael J. Sullivan also started writing about Royce and Hadrian again which made my heart very happy!
I also had a couple of book club reads that stood out. Either because I liked them (The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society) or because they challenged me (The Poisonwood Bible and The Handmaid’s Tale).
So, that is my brief look back at 2013. I’ve enjoyed connecting with you all and wish you best for 2014!!